Monday, November 2, 2009

Job Analysis

I am all geared up to visit our crew at one of Shell's largest construction site near Edmonton. What better way to conduct a job analysis than to personally visit the job site?

It was a guided tour by Andy, one of our project manager. Nice guy, very experienced and knowledgeable but a bit cynical when it comes to life in general. We bonded during the tour and he is now one of my closet "support system" at the workplace.

Honestly I have never really been to a construction site. I was excited.

There I met two of our best field supervisor, Tinus, a temporary foreign workers from South Africa and Mark. Both very skillful workers. I have learned so much just by observing.

The physical requirements of this job is almost the core of the job description. I was feeling slightly under the weather just by walking around and sitting under the freakishly hot sun for 4 hours. These guys work under all extreme weather all year round. The work requires them to be on their knees for a long period of time. The liner installation process requires them to work in awkward positions.

The informal interview sessions with some of the workers was most interesting. (beside not so elegant language) When i say: I would like to know what you guys like and don't like about the job so i know who qualities to look for when i am interviewing someone. I got all kind of responses, some of them include:
  • we are here for the money, money is the motivation,
  • hey you got to have passion for liners,
  • f*** who has passion for liners?
  • hire someone who works in the kitchen because they can work under extreme heat,
  • someone who is flexible
  • someone who can handle extreme stress and pressure
  • you can never tell if someone is suitable for the job, I have seen people who i thought will not make it turns out to be a good worker.
Despite the random responses i got from several questions, I have gained a better understanding not just the job specification, but the employees' needs and motivation.

Although i have not given a chance to recruit a field worker (due tough economic times) I believe the job analysis has made me a better recruiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment